Well, tomorrow I go under the knife to have my parathyroid gland removed. I'm a bit nervous - just not knowing how I'm going to feel afterwards. During my pre-op appointment, the nurse went over the procedure and told me all the possible things that can go wrong. It's a bit scary.
I will have about a 1 inch scar on my neck. My voice to begin with is going to be very hoarse. I may feel like I have a huge lump in my throat - kind of like having strep throat. I won't be able to turn my neck - so I can't see to drive. They don't want me lifting more than 10 pounds - I probably won't have the strength anyways. My calcium level may drop causing me to get a tingling sensation in my lips, toes, fingers where I will need to take a Tums to bring my level up again.
I have to be at the hospital at 10:45 am. At 11:45 am, I go in for nuclear medicine where they inject me with a radioactive dye. Then, at 1:30 pm, I go in for surgery. The surgery is about 1.5 hours and I'll be in recovery about 1.5 hours. Then, when I'm strong enough to walk again, I can finally go home!
Robert and I went grocery shopping so we at least have food for tonight and tomorrow. My mom is coming in on Tuesday morning to take over for Robert in taking care of me. It's going to be great to have her here helping out.
2 comments:
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow morning! Keep us all posted how things go. Be sure Robert and your mom take good care of you!
~Kristen
I hope you are recovering well. Best wishes!
Post a Comment